Thursday, November 8, 2007

Why Are Women Featured In Gossip Magazines More? I Get It!



Who reads more gossip magazines? Women or Men? Women. Who reads them more teenagers or adults? Teenagers. What do girls do almost as many times a day, in my opinion, as they speak (which is a lot)? Judge themselves, judge other girls and compare themselves to each other. Was that so hard? No. Girls want to read about other girls because it a) shows how they need to better themselves to be comparable to movie stars and actresses, or b) tells them that they are in some way better than that girl who has millions of adoring fans.

I’m going to have to disagree about the men not being in magazines, sure there aren’t many stories about them, but good gossip magazines usually find a way to put in a hot actor running with no shirt or playing football on the beach, coincidence? I think not! These magazines, cater to women, they cater to our need to judge and compare (I can’t believe I’m saying thisK) and they cater to our need for a break between gossip sessions (hence the half nude men).

Now, men do get featured in stories, but I’m going to have to say that their biggest stories are when they are involved with a new girl. I read gossip magazines for the gossip obviously but also for the fashion ideas and sometimes see how celebrities are not as perfect as they seem. It’s comforting to know that the beauty we see on TV is not real life beauty, no one can live up to that perfection and a lot of women are, I think, interested in knowing that.

So basically I think that women are featured more in those magazines because women read those magazines, maybe it’s catering to our selfish side? Maybe it’s catering to our insecure side? Maybe it helps us as it tells the truth.

No comments: